A latex allergy is an allergic reaction to proteins found in natural rubber latex, most commonly used in latex gloves. Dipped rubber latex is the most common latex allergy.
A latex allergy can range from mild to severe. Below are some of the common symptoms experienced.
The following are the common products made out of latex:
If someone has repeatedly been exposed to latex products, they have a greater chance of getting a latex allergy. The following are people who have a higher risk of developing a latex allergy.
A latex allergy can be diagnosed through an allergy skin test, blood test or physical examination by an allergy specialist. There is no cure for a latex allergy. Avoidance is the best possible treatment for a latex allergy. People with severe latex allergies should carry epinephrine (know as an EpiPen) at all times and should consider wearing a medic-alert bracelet.
For severe allergic reactions, seek emergency medical attention.